Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Parenting 101: Lesson 38 - Winning the Battle with Trickery

When you happen upon your children arguing and it's very obvious someone's fibbing is the cause of the argument, the best thing to do is trick them into telling the truth. (Caution: This only works until about age 10)

For example: This afternoon the boys and Katie were fighting over the Xbox. Each had supposedly chosen a game to play in turn and it was Ethan's turn next. Katelyn argued that she never picked a game but both the boys said she did. Screaming at the top of her lungs, she insisted she absolutely did not have a turn to pick a game. Watch and learn...

Kate: "I promise I didn't pick a game!!!"

Me: "Ethan, what game did you pick?"

Ethan: "I picked this one."

Me: "Nathan, what game did you pick?"

Nate: "I picked this game."

Then, you throw in the curveball. Ask 'em fast!

Me: "Ethan, what game did you pick?"

Ethan: "I picked this one!!"

Me: "Quick....Nate, what game did you pick?"

Nate: "I picked this game!"

Me: "Quick, Katie, what game did you pick?"

Katie: "I picked this game!"

Aha! Case closed.

2 comments:

The J said...

No wonder your children hate you! lol Just kidding! WE miss you guys! ( I can just hear Katie now.." Mom that's not fair! You tricked me! I should get an extra turn!" ;)

Kirsten said...

Hate me? Geez.